Hi, my name is Josh Ames. Welcome to my new photography blog! I’m a graphic designer and part-time professional photographer. I hope to use this blog as a tool to help others improve their photography skills, as well as improve on my own! Learning how to shoot good photography is a journey. There is always something new to learn! I will share tips and tricks as well as issues that I struggle with and solutions I find.
I enjoy photography because I love to capture details that most people overlook. It could be anything from an abandoned building, a person on the street, or an unusual shadow. The fun is seeing an everyday situation or place in a different light. I like to have my camera with me wherever I am. In fact, even when I don’t have my DSLR with me, I always have my cell phone camera, which provides its own unique opportunities and challenges. I named this blog, "The Everyday Photographer" for this reason. You just never know when the opportunity for a great photograph will strike. Beauty in life doesn't just occur at weddings or during a sunset.
I will be focusing on professional photography techniques, but I believe that this information will also be useful for everyone, whether you just want to take better pictures of your family or if you are just starting out with a photography as a hobby. I will be covering subjects such as:
- How to choose the camera that is right for you - There are many different types and price points of cameras. I’ll help guide you into making the right choice for your specific needs.
- The importance of composition - While many people think only about how “good” their camera is, composition is something that is under the control of the user, not the equipment. It is the most important aspect of a good photograph!
- Those pesky technical details - After composition, it’s the technical details of shutter speed, aperture and ISO that will help you capture the image in your mind’s eye.
- How to choose the right lens - for owners with DSLRs, different lenses can give you radically different capabilities. I’ll help you make sense of your overwhelming number of choices you have available to you.
- Photographic Techniques - I’ll share tips for shooting in specific situations, such as low light, sports photography, portaits, landscapes and more!
- Advanced editing - Taking the shot is the most important part of photography, but it doesn’t end there. Cropping, color correction and other advanced editing techniques are also essential to make the most out of your photography.
- Featured photography - Occasionally I will feature a photograph and disect it to reveal how the image was captured. I’ll share the technical settings and describe my thought process in shooting the photo as well as how I edited it afterwards.
- Featured photographers - I’ll feature photographers I have met and admire and offer some of their unique perspectives.
These subjects just cover the tip of the iceberg. Photography is a growing field and there is a lot to learn. I am excited to start this weekly journey into photography with you. I look forward to your discussions and feedback.